Recipe by Chef Jasjit Kaur (Kitchen Punjabi)
- ½ cup Organic Moong daal (Yellow lentils – split and husk removed)
- ½ cup Organic Masoor daal (Orange daal – split and husk removed)
- 1 tsp Ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Red Onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Cumin, dry roasted and coarsely grinded
- ½ tsp Coriander seed, dry roasted and coarsely grinded
- ½ Red Chilli powder (Optional)
- Few Cilantro leaves to Garnish
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for garnish (Tarka 2):
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli powder
- ¼ Tsp Hing (Asafetida)
- 1 Tbsp Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek leaves, gently crushed in palm)
- Wash and Rinse the lentils in cold water.
- Add 4 cups of cold water to a pot and (both) lentils. Add Turmeric, 1 tsp Ghee and ½ tsp Ginger and Garlic. Bring to boil and simmer until lentils are soft and cooked. Process should take 15 – 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, separately, in a frying pan, add Ghee and fry the remaining Ginger and Garlic for 2 minutes. Stir. Add chopped onions and stir in frequently till brown. Add all spices. Stir thoroughly.
- Assumingly the lentils are cooked. Combine the onion mixture with lentils. Cook for 5 – 10 minutes for the flavours to set in.
- Before serving, add Tarka 2.
Garnish with Cilantro leaves.